[blfs-support] Texlive Mirror

Christopher Gregory me at pc-networking-services.com
Sun Dec 7 12:59:01 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 09:37 +1300, Christopher Gregory wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-12-07 at 20:22 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 07:58:33PM +0100, Armin K. wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anyone know where I can find
> > > ftp://tug.org/texlive/historic/2014/texlive-20140525-texmf.tar.xz mirror
> > > that's hosted in Europe? With this, I get ~200KB/s, which is
> > > unacceptable for such a large file.
> > >
> > > I have looked @ ctan mirrors listed on texlive page but couldn't find
> > > that file anywhere - just the -source one. Any hints are appreciated.
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >

> >  The texmf does seem to be not mirrored in many places, probably
> > because if its size.  Yesterday and today I've been downloading the
> > source and texmf files for previous years without any problem, but
> > I do not know where I'm getting them from - I just went to
> > ftp://tug.org/texlive/historic/ and kept the browser open there.
> > Certainly, the "local" oxford mirror that mirror.ctan.org directs me
> > to does not have texmf.
> > ĸen
> >  Googling around, I think I might have got 2014 at some point from
> > http://mirror.jaredwhiting.net/distfiles/TeX/ - firefox colours the
> > links there as if I've visited them, but that might equally be a slow
> > link where I gave up and had another go later to try to get a faster
> > link.
> >
> >  Sorry, it seems to have limited availability.
> >

> I have found a faster mirror for it within Asia:
>
> http://ftp.stu.edu.tw/FreeBSD/distfiles/TeX/texlive-20140525-texmf.tar.xz
>
> I am getting speeds of up to 1.45MB/s for downloading it here in New
> Zealand.
>
> Christopher.

Just completed downloading from that mirror:

texlive-20140525-texmf.tar.xz

Though I can not say that it will be as fast for others.  It does look
like a good mirror though.  I suspect it is not one offered by ctan
though.  I just searched for the file name and that is what google
showed me.

Christopher.