[blfs-support] evince-3.14.1

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 11 18:44:00 PST 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:39:00PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> On 11-12-2014 21:35, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  I've just built this: has anyone found a *reliable* way to resize
> > it ?  When I opened it with a document, it came up low-down on the
> > screen, with a not-very-tall window.  Dragging the top of the window
> > extended it.  But after I had moved the window further up my screen,
> > pulling down on the bottom, and trying to pull out the sides, mostly
> > do not work.
>
> ĸen, perhaps this is a rare occasion where I could help you.
>
> I understand that in the up and down sides, you can resize the height,
> but not in the left and right sides, for changing the width.
>
> I just tried and confirmed this in XFCE. But if you try the corners,
> then you will have the facilities for resizing height and/or width.
>
> This seems a particularity of XFCE.
>
> With LXDE, I tested and it woks normally, along the four sides and/or
> four corners.
>
> >  Pulling the edges to expand it seems to work _if_ the display is
> > smaller than the current page size.  I mostly prefer evince to
> > epdfview because there are too many "official" PDFs which come up
> > blank in epdfview - the last one I remember was a council PDF about
> > some roadworks, where the map was blank.
>
> Same with me.
>
> >  I suspect I'm going to have to go back to an older version of
> > evince.
>
> > ĸen
>

> Therefore, if it is confirmed that you are using XFCE, I have the
> impression that older versions won't matter.

 Fernando, thanks for the comments.

 I only use xfce on one desktop (which mostly just runs releases)
and on my netbook.  The development machine uses icewm, and I also
use icewm in BLFS-qemu (but there, maximizing the window might be
adequate).

Meanwhile, I've been looking at the past releases on the machine
which now uses xfce for 7.6, and in that the 3.12 version was
comparatively hard to grab.

Perhaps current gnome is just too-new for (mostly unmaintained)
icewm.  Unfortunately, icewm is my most-productive wm.

I took a look at atril, again, but perhaps I'll stick with 3.12 if
it still builds.  I need to think about what will cause me least
aggravation.

ĸen