[blfs-support] BLFS-install vbox guest additions on 7.6 systemd vm

Tom Willhite trw2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:24:59 PST 2014

Hi !  It's archetech from irc with his first email to mail lists.

I am unable to find on google or anywhere a guide to installing Linux Guest Additions to a blfs vbox vm  that has xorg fully installed (but no DE yet).

What I've found out is that the install script has a section to query for the distro name and years ago someone at Oracle added LFS sysvinit to the script but of course it hasn't been updated for systemd.

Here's some snippits of VBoxLinuxAdditions.run  found in the root of the standard vboxversion*.iso
available at  http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox

elif [ -f /etc/lfs-release -a -d /etc/rc.d/init.d ]; then
    system=lfs
else

    system=otherif [ "$system" = "lfs" ]; then
    . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
    fail_msg() {
        echo_failure
    }
    succ_msg() {
        echo_ok
    }
    begin() {
        echo $1
    }
fi

I'm not a dev just a reg user of LFS so this is beyond my pay grade.
If systemd could be added to the script at vbox or after we download and edit it I'd be willing to help with testing and support of this in the blfs book(s) and irc.

Thanks for reading and keep up the good work.

Archetech