[blfs-support] BLFS-install vbox guest additions on 7.6 systemd vm

Christopher Gregory me at pc-networking-services.com
Fri Dec 12 12:12:14 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 12:24 -0500, Tom Willhite wrote:

> Hi !  It's archetech from irc with his first email to mail lists.
>
> I am unable to find on google or anywhere a guide to installing Linux
> Guest Additions to a blfs vbox vm  that has xorg fully installed (but
> no DE yet).
>
> What I've found out is that the install script has a section to query
> for the distro name and years ago someone at Oracle added LFS sysvinit
> to the script but of course it hasn't been updated for systemd.
>
> Here's some snippits of VBoxLinuxAdditions.run  found in the root of
> the standard vboxversion*.iso
> available at  http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox
>

> elif [ -f /etc/lfs-release -a -d /etc/rc.d/init.d ]; then
>     system=lfs
> else
>

>     system=otherif [ "$system" = "lfs" ]; then
>     . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
>     fail_msg() {
>         echo_failure
>     }
>     succ_msg() {
>         echo_ok
>     }
>     begin() {
>         echo $1
>     }
> fi
>

> I'm not a dev just a reg user of LFS so this is beyond my pay grade.
> If systemd could be added to the script at vbox or after we download
> and edit it I'd be willing to help with testing and support of this in
> the blfs book(s) and irc.
>
> Thanks for reading and keep up the good work.
>
> Archetech

Hello,

Before you get too far into this, there is something that you ought to
know about virtualbox.  I have notes in what I call a rough form, ie
they are not in the standard blfs book format.

I was originally intending to add this to the systemd book, but the show
stopper for that is that it does not work on 64 bit systems as per a
lfs/blfs install.

The guest add-ons still use only 32 bit.

Even slackware back this up by stating that it does not work out of the
box.  You actually need to have 32 bit userspace installed on a 64 bit
system.

If you are using this on 32 bit I will look up my notes which I actually
adapted from archlinux build scripts.

I do have virtual box installed on one of my partitions and installed a
32 bit debian on it as a guest os.

Regards,

Christopher.