[blfs-support] Error installing SeaMonkey

David Jones davidjones44 at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 19 13:01:06 PST 2014

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:16:00 -0300
From: Fernando de Oliveira <famobr at yahoo.com.br>
To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support at lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Error installing SeaMonkey

On 13-12-2014 08:47, David Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using BLFS 7.6 and SeaMonkey 2.29.  This is my first attempt with
BLFS
> and I have got as far as installing xfce and would like to use SeaMonkey
> rather than Midori as a browser.  I'm building on an old pc with an athlon
> xp 2600 processor, GeForce FX 5200 gpu and with Linux Mint xfce as host.
> So far I have built everything from the chroot environment.
>
> SeaMonkey built without any error message, using SHELL=/bin/bash before
> make, but when I try to install I get the following errors,
>

> mozpack.errors.ErrorMessage: Error: Error while running startup cache
> precompilation

> I also tried to install from within the LFS system but it gives the same
> error message.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Probably it is the same error first noticed by Ragnar in firefox-32.0.
Later, ?en found a workaround, and finally, after other developments
with discussions between Bruce and I (sorry if I forgot somebody), we
introduced a note at

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/xsoft/seamonkey.html:

{{{
Note

There is a problem on i686 systems when building SeaMonkey with gcc
versions ranging from 4.8 to 4.9.1 and using the switch
?--enable-optimize?. There are two alternatives. The best one is to
upgrade gcc to version 4.9.2 or later because it will give better
performance and smaller binaries. However, if you do not wish to upgrade
gcc, reduce the level of optimization with:

test $(uname -m) = "i686" && sed -i 's/enable-optimize/&=-O2/' mozconfig
|| true
}}}

Sorry, it seems you have to start rebuilding from scratch after using
one of the two solutions described in the note above.

Upgrading to gcc 4.9.2 is the better solution, because without the
optimization, SM is slow to start and at runtime.

The upgrade should be done according to

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/gcc.html

Most of us have done this upgrade, but there is one case where the user
seemed to have problems with the upgrade, so if you do it, make sure to
be very careful.

If you are not sure about the gcc upgrade, just use the sed in
mozconfig, before starting the build.

Notice that there has been modifications between SeaMonkey 2.29 to
SeaMonkey-2.31, so some other instructions in that page will not apply
to your case.

Perhaps you would prefer to install SeaMonkey-2.31, but it might be
necessary to upgrade some packages in your system.

--
[]s,
Fernando

I tried the "easier" solution first of compiling with the sed but with the
same result - it built without errors but wouldn't install.  So after
making a backup I upgraded gcc and used SeaMonkey 2.31 and this time it
installed without problems.  Thanks for your help Fernando.

David.