[blfs-support] Solution for twm complaining about lacking fonts

Markku Pesonen tourula at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 03:51:16 PDT 2014

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  But on the second point (slowness) - I've seen xorg taking a
> significant time to start the first time on *two* builds since, I
> think, last October.  I think one was when I was testing things for
> make-4.0, the other time was one of my four 7.5 builds and I believe
> they happened once on each of my two main machines.  In each case,
> the subsequent runs of 'startx', whatever the wm, were at normal
> speed.  I didn't measure how long either slow start took (wasn't
> expecting it to be slow), but I would be surprised if it was more
> than a minute each time - that _is_ on a reasonably fast machine
> (phenom, 3.4GHz, and Sandy Bridge, I think 3.2 GHz), so if it is the
> same problem, a slow machine could well take two minutes.  Whatever,
> for me this has only ever happ0ened the first time I run startx.

Did you run fc-cache (as root) before running startx? It creates a
system-wide font information cache in /var/cache/fontconfig. If that
doesn't exist or if it's not up-to-date, it's created in your home
directory when you start X. This can take some time if you have a lot of
fonts installed.

In a single-user system the location of the font cache doesn't really
matter, but personally I prefer running fc-cache as root every time I
install or uninstall fonts. X starts quite fast for me when the font
cache is up-to-date.

Of course there can be other reasons for the slowness you described, but
this was the first thing that came to my mind.