[blfs-support] Paco v Porg and related problems (was How to Unistall Mysql)

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 15 07:47:19 PST 2014

On 15 November 2014 13:35, Fernando de Oliveira <famobr at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> On 04-11-2014 08:36, Richard Melville wrote:

> >> Thank you, your help is much appreciated, too.
> >>
> >> If anyone else know about this subject, it could be helpful to find out
> >> the reasons for the different results.
> >

> > Thanks for the reply Fernando; when I have more time and I'm less
> stressed
> > I'll run the other tests to see if the results still differ.
>
> Hi, Richard,
>
> I think there is good news, here.

Excellent

> First I discovered that it is not porg's mistake to log files in the
> source directory. There is a variable checked at runtime to exclude some
> paths:
>
> EXCLUDE=/tmp:/dev:/proc:/sys:/run:/mnt:/media

I wasn't aware of that.  Presumably that was why my install in /opt worked
OK but your's didn't.

> This is the default.
>
> If you build in /tmp, it will log fine.
>
> I build in ~/tmp, so I needed to include it in the EXCLUDE path. Now it
> is logging and working perfectly.
>
> However, in order to avoid future problems, I reunstalled it (and paco)
> with the switch:
>
>  --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> because the file used to define those variables is installed, otherwise,
> in /usr/etc.

Yes, that happens with a number of packages.

> Now, I have:
>
> $ ls /etc/{paco,porg}rc
> /etc/pacorc  /etc/porgrc
>

> and I edited them to define a new value for the EXCLUDE path (mail
> client will probably break the line):
>
> $ grep EXCLUDE /etc/{paco,porg}rc
> /etc/pacorc:#EXCLUDE=/dev:/tmp:/usr/src:/media:/sys:/usr/share/info/dir
>
> /etc/pacorc:EXCLUDE=/tmp:/dev:/proc:/sys:/run:/mnt:/media:/home/fernando/tmp
> /etc/porgrc:#EXCLUDE=/tmp:/dev:/proc:/sys:/run:/mnt:/media
>
> /etc/porgrc:EXCLUDE=/tmp:/dev:/proc:/sys:/run:/mnt:/media:/home/fernando/tmp
>
> I do not want the responsibility, but will not pose any doubt, when porg
> is recommended.
>
> It helped me a lot, today, in the removals of boost.

Strange, as I now have a little more time I was just thinking of you today
and the other tests you wanted me to run.  I'm assuming they are now
unnecessary, is that correct?

Richard