[blfs-support] firefox-32.0.1 extremely slow

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Mon Nov 17 16:24:21 PST 2014

On 17-11-2014 20:08, Christopher Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, November 18, 2014 11:32 am, Richard wrote:
>>

>> I think I successfully built firefox-32.0.1 in
>> blfs-7.6, but it is terribly slow, to the point of being unusable.

> I have other issues with firefox, namely that if you have more than say 7
> or 8 tabs open it periodically takes 100% of the cpu.

If it is a *i686 system*, there is a problem of lacking of optimization.

At

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/xsoft/firefox.html

you have a newer version (there is another one newer than that, but
changes were not for Linux.

There, you will find new instructions, in order to obtain optimization,
and then a much faster and smaller firefox, which does not stall at 100%
of the CPU.

Essentially, if you update gcc to 4.9.2, all optimization can be used.
Otherwise, some improvement can be obtained with

test $(uname -m) = "i686" && sed -i 's/enable-optimize/&=-O2/' mozconfig
|| true

I've told Christopher about that. It has been discussed in the dev list.

I've upgraded gcc to that version in the two machines I use mostly.

--
[]s,
Fernando