[blfs-support] firefox-32.0.1 extremely slow

Richard rkm at usol.com
Tue Nov 18 04:31:52 PST 2014

On 11/17/2014 07:24 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> On 17-11-2014 20:08, Christopher Gregory wrote:
>> On Tue, November 18, 2014 11:32 am, Richard wrote:
>>>

>>> I think I successfully built firefox-32.0.1 in
>>> blfs-7.6, but it is terribly slow, to the point of being unusable.
>
>> I have other issues with firefox, namely that if you have more than say 7
>> or 8 tabs open it periodically takes 100% of the cpu.
>
> If it is a *i686 system*, there is a problem of lacking of optimization.
>
> At
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/xsoft/firefox.html
>
> you have a newer version (there is another one newer than that, but
> changes were not for Linux.
>
> There, you will find new instructions, in order to obtain optimization,
> and then a much faster and smaller firefox, which does not stall at 100%
> of the CPU.
>
> Essentially, if you update gcc to 4.9.2, all optimization can be used.
> Otherwise, some improvement can be obtained with
>
> test $(uname -m) = "i686" && sed -i 's/enable-optimize/&=-O2/' mozconfig
> || true
>
> I've told Christopher about that. It has been discussed in the dev list.
>
> I've upgraded gcc to that version in the two machines I use mostly.

I have a question about how to upgrade gcc.
In building LFS you first build a temporary system
of tools, including gcc, and then use those tools
to build the rest of the software. If I want to
upgrade gcc, does that mean I have to start all
over again from "scratch" and build LFS again?
Or can I just update gcc and use it to compile
firefox, without re-compiling other packages?

Richard