[blfs-support] firefox-32.0.1 extremely slow

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Tue Nov 18 06:09:15 PST 2014

On 18-11-2014 09:31, Richard wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 07:24 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

>>> I have other issues with firefox, namely that if you have more than
>>> say 7
>>> or 8 tabs open it periodically takes 100% of the cpu.
>>
>> If it is a *i686 system*, there is a problem of lacking of optimization.
>>
>> At
>>
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/xsoft/firefox.html
>>
>> you have a newer version (there is another one newer than that, but
>> changes were not for Linux.
>>
>> There, you will find new instructions, in order to obtain optimization,
>> and then a much faster and smaller firefox, which does not stall at 100%
>> of the CPU.
>>
>> Essentially, if you update gcc to 4.9.2, all optimization can be used.
>> Otherwise, some improvement can be obtained with
>>
>> test $(uname -m) = "i686" && sed -i 's/enable-optimize/&=-O2/' mozconfig
>>
>> I've told Christopher about that. It has been discussed in the dev list.
>>
>> I've upgraded gcc to that version in the two machines I use mostly.
>>

> I have a question about how to upgrade gcc.
> In building LFS you first build a temporary system
> of tools, including gcc, and then use those tools
> to build the rest of the software. If I want to
> upgrade gcc, does that mean I have to start all
> over again from "scratch" and build LFS again?

No.

> Or can I just update gcc and use it to compile
> firefox, without re-compiling other packages?

Yes. It is in the development BLFS book:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/gcc.html

Thus, it is like installing any other BLFS package. No need to recompile
other packages. The packages compiled after the gcc upgrade will use
this new version automatically.

As it is a fundamental package, be sure to use very carefully the
instructions in the page.

I have done many gcc upgrades in many LFS/BLFS systems, never had a problem.

I was having problem with connection, and now I see that Pierre (who is the BLFS maintainer of ggc) has replied. Thanks, Pierre.

I prefer to compile all languages in the page, because noticed tha some programs look for them, during compilation, so, I suppose it may improve performance in some packages compilations.

--
[]s,
Fernando