[blfs-support] Video driver for X Window

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Fri Nov 28 16:22:38 PST 2014

> On Nov 23, 2014, at 15:41, Patrick Kennedy <kennedypj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My output is as follows:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler [AMD Radeon HD 6600M Series]

Hello Patrick,

I've read the whole thread but am going to respond to this line:

View http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon

I referenced it lately to make sure I had the right firmware in the kernel for the GPU with the A4 3400 which has an HD6410D radeon with it (SUMO).

It's unsure what you device is. It could be Evergreen or Northern Island.
From what I can tell with that laptop model, it's an HD6630M which makes it an evergreen and this is the firmware you need:

CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/SUMO2_me.bin radeon/SUMO2_pfp.bin radeon/SUMO_rlc.bin radeon/SUMO_uvd.bin"

If you have the driver built into the kernel.

If the driver is not built into the kernel, you don't need the firmware blobs built into the kernel.

Sincerely,

William Harrington