[blfs-support] Internal compiler error ?

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Wed Mar 2 09:16:27 PST 2016

On Tuesday 02 February 2016 23:14:16 Michael Shell wrote:

> : cat /proc/cpuinfo
> In this way, Edgar can compare the CPUs of his two machines. I bet they
> differ with regard to bmi2 capability

I am now at home and can take a look at my PC. May I come back to this issue ?

As Michael assumed, my two machines differ with regard to the bmi2 capability:
Results of cat /proc/cpuinfo:

For the PC:
quote
---------------
Architektur:           i686
CPU Operationsmodus:   32-bit, 64-bit
Byte-Reihenfolge:      Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
Liste der Online-CPU(s):0-3
Thread(s) pro Kern:    2
Kern(e) pro Socket:    2
Sockel:                1
Anbieterkennung:       GenuineIntel
Prozessorfamilie:      6
Modell:                60
Modellname:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Stepping:              3
CPU MHz:               3600.000
Maximale Taktfrequenz der CPU:3600,0000
Minimale Taktfrequenz der CPU:800,0000
BogoMIPS:              7183.63
Virtualisierung:       VT-x
L1d Cache:             32K
L1i Cache:             32K
L2 Cache:              256K
L3 Cache:              3072K
Markierungen:          fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc
arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm arat epb pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow
vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt
---------------
unquote

and for the laptop, as already mentioned in my E-Mail dated 1.2.2016
quote
--------------------
Architektur:           i686
CPU Operationsmodus:   32-bit, 64-bit
Byte-Reihenfolge:      Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
Liste der Online-CPU(s):0-3
Thread(s) pro Kern:    2
Kern(e) pro Socket:    2
Sockel:                1
Anbieterkennung:       GenuineIntel
Prozessorfamilie:      6
Modell:                58
Modellname:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Stepping:              9
CPU MHz:               1800.000
Maximale Taktfrequenz der CPU:1901,0000
Minimale Taktfrequenz der CPU:779,0000
BogoMIPS:              3791.43
Virtualisierung:       VT-x
L1d Cache:             32K
L1i Cache:             32K
L2 Cache:              256K
L3 Cache:              3072K
Markierungen:          fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx rdtscp
lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf
eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm
pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave avx f16c lahf_lm ida arat epb pln
pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt
--------------------
unquote

As Bruce advised, I rebuilt gmp on the PC according to his instructions 2.2.2016:

./configure --prefix=/usr    \
             --enable-cxx     \
             --disable-static \
             --docdir=/usr/share/doc/gmp-6.1.0
etc....

and then installed the image on the Laptop. The image works on the laptop, but building of
programs is still not possible. Configure is OK, but make crashes with the old  "internal compiler
error".

Michael mentioned a patch for gmp. Could you give me a little hint, how to procede ? A problem
with the laptop can be excluded, as I can run perfectly  program buildings from another, older
partition.

Thank you again for the help,