[blfs-support] make install in asymptote-2.35

Arnie Stender astender777 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:20:37 PST 2016

Hello,
     I have been troubleshooting this problem trying to install
asymptote-2.35 in book 7.8. When I do the make install as root it runs
fine for a while then outputs:

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/astender/blfs/xsource/asymptote-2.35/doc'
pdflatex asy-latex.dtx
make[1]: pdflatex: Command not found
Makefile:19: recipe for target 'asy-latex.pdf' failed
make[1]: *** [asy-latex.pdf] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/astender/blfs/xsource/asymptote-2.35/doc'
Makefile:165: recipe for target 'sty' failed
make: *** [sty] Error 2

I saw a similar error for the cmd 'latex' somewhere else. I looked in
the bin directory created by texlive and found this.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 Mar  4 12:53 pdflatex -> /pdflatex

and

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       6 Mar  4 12:53 latex -> /latex

I know I have been out of the loop for 6 years but this looks like it
thinks these files are supposed to be in the root directory (/). I have
done a find starting in / and this directory
(/opt/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/pdflatex) is the only place pdflatex
is found. The make install seems to think it should have a cmd to run
but there is none anywhere on the system and all that was created was
this strange link that leads nowhere. As far as I know I have all the
recommended dependencies for teslive this time. Has anyone seen this before?
Arnie