[blfs-support] make install in asymptote-2.35

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 4 16:31:33 PST 2016

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 04:20:37PM -0600, Arnie Stender wrote:
> Hello,
>     I have been troubleshooting this problem trying to install
> asymptote-2.35 in book 7.8. When I do the make install as root it runs fine
> for a while then outputs:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/astender/blfs/xsource/asymptote-2.35/doc'
> pdflatex asy-latex.dtx
> make[1]: pdflatex: Command not found
> Makefile:19: recipe for target 'asy-latex.pdf' failed
> make[1]: *** [asy-latex.pdf] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/astender/blfs/xsource/asymptote-2.35/doc'
> Makefile:165: recipe for target 'sty' failed
> make: *** [sty] Error 2
>
> I saw a similar error for the cmd 'latex' somewhere else. I looked in the
> bin directory created by texlive and found this.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 Mar  4 12:53 pdflatex -> /pdflatex
>
> and
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       6 Mar  4 12:53 latex -> /latex
>
> I know I have been out of the loop for 6 years but this looks like it thinks
> these files are supposed to be in the root directory (/). I have done a find
> starting in / and this directory
> (/opt/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/pdflatex) is the only place pdflatex is
> found. The make install seems to think it should have a cmd to run but there
> is none anywhere on the system and all that was created was this strange
> link that leads nowhere. As far as I know I have all the recommended
> dependencies for teslive this time. Has anyone seen this before?
> Arnie
Wow, somebody apart from me building asymptote!  Thanks for that.
(I only put it in the book because somebody noticed our old 'build
texinfo from source on top of the binary' process did not actually
rebuild asymptote, biber, or xindy.)

It looks as if root does not have
/opt/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/ on his PATH.
As root (and indeed as a user, but I doubt you could have got this
far without it being on the user's PATH), 'which pdflatex'.

ĸen