[blfs-support] make install in asymptote-2.35

Arnie Stender astender777 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:18:24 PST 2016

On 03/04/2016 06:31 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> I saw a similar error for the cmd 'latex' somewhere else. I looked in the
> bin directory created by texlive and found this.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 Mar  4 12:53 pdflatex -> /pdflatex
>
> and
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       6 Mar  4 12:53 latex -> /latex
>
> Wow, somebody apart from me building asymptote!  Thanks for that.
> (I only put it in the book because somebody noticed our old 'build
> texinfo from source on top of the binary' process did not actually
> rebuild asymptote, biber, or xindy.)
>
> It looks as if root does not have
> /opt/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/ on his PATH.
> As root (and indeed as a user, but I doubt you could have got this
> far without it being on the user's PATH), 'which pdflatex'.
>
> ĸen
Hi Ken,
     I don't know of any reason I actually need this package. I only
started building it because you mentioned it at the end of the
instructions. I am thinking right now that I am going to rm -rf the
created structure in /opt for the texlive package and try the install
again. You are right about not having the PATH including this directory.
At first that was true. I think I followed all the instructions but
after I got to asymptote I started to try and figure out what was going
on and I found the PATH wrong and the links above. I didn't count them
but there are quite a few like this. After I found all this out I went
back and su to root and built the PATH manually and re-ran the make
install but it didn't fix it. I am thinking if the whole file structure
for the bin directory is gone it will rebuild it correctly. After seeing
what you said I am thinking if that doesn't work I'll just forget about
this package but it still leaves me with a broken texlive bin directory.
That may be a bit bigger concern.

Arnie