[blfs-support] make install in asymptote-2.35

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 4 19:28:04 PST 2016

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 08:30:29PM -0600, Arnie Stender wrote:
> On 03/04/2016 06:31 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >Wow, somebody apart from me building asymptote!  Thanks for that.
> >(I only put it in the book because somebody noticed our old 'build
> >texinfo from source on top of the binary' process did not actually
> >rebuild asymptote, biber, or xindy.)
> >
> >It looks as if root does not have
> >/opt/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/ on his PATH.
> >As root (and indeed as a user, but I doubt you could have got this
> >far without it being on the user's PATH), 'which pdflatex'.
> >
> >ĸen
> Ken,
>     If I counted right there are over 20 of these malformed links. Something
> else occurred to me. There are many more of the form:
>
>  yplan -> ../../texmf-dist/scripts/yplan/yplan
>
> This looks like I have to retain the source directory forever. Do you agree?
> I think it would be worth the pain of moving all the scripts to the bin
> directory instead of leaving the links.
>
> Arnie

Arnie,

after my experiences in the last few hours with fedora, I have just
instituted a new rule here : "Never agree to nuffink".

But serously -

/opt/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-linux/yplan

linking to ../../texmf-dist/scripts/yplan/yplan

seems correct :

../ is in bin/

../../ is in 2015

and texmf-dist/scripts/yplan should be below 2015/ (it comes from
the texmf tarball).

I should perhaps also note that texlive is only really in BLFS as a
replacement for the obsolete tetex as a means for some packages to
create optional docs - and most of those are now broken (they tend
to rely on outdated versions of TeX packages).  But basic TeX,
latex (e.g. pdflatex), context, luatex, xelatex should still work -
and so should asymptote, biber, and xindy if you follow the book's
instructions.

The texmf stuff gets installed into /opt/texlive/2015/texmf - I do
not describe that as the source - the source is wherever you built
texlive : /sources/texlive-whichever, or ~/texlive-whichever or
wherever.

And if you think that a symlink such as yplan is broken, try
file $(type -pa yplan) [ I would normally use 'which yplan' but I
cannot guarantee that you installed a which variant! ]

Also, the scripts are not necessarily independent of the related
directories in texmf - they might have paths to other files
hardcoded in them.

ĸen