[blfs-support] Toolkits

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 12:35:26 PST 2016

On 6 March 2016 at 20:01, Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I'm getting a little confuddled making my way through toolkit
> dependencies.  Firefox is a major requirement, and somewhere around 44
> they may have switched to gtk-3.  I also want a lightweight desktop
> environment, xfce lately, which wants gtk-2.  (lxde bailed)  Have we
> reached the (undesireable) point at which we have to have BOTH gtk+-2
> and gtk+-3 installed?  And then there's the accompanying glib!  AAArgh!

I'm not sure why Firefox is still necessary -- it's now so bloated and
slow.  For a recent lightweight build I built and installed the
popular awesome window manager (not in the book
http://awesome.naquadah.org/) and the xombrero browser (not in the
book but previously mentioned by me http://is.gd/COxf3u).

They are both working really well together and are lightning fast.

Richard