[blfs-support] Toolkits

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 7 19:17:14 PST 2016

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 04:03:37PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> >>I felt his answer was entirely appropriate as you were talking about
> >
> >It was?  So I was somehow unclear with, "*Firefox is a major
> >requirement*"?
>
> I was questioning your requirements.  The mention of firefox and lightweight
> seemed to be a contradiction to me.

Compared to most DEs (I will exclude lxde from that comment, because
I hated it on the one occasion I tried it), firefox _is_ still
comparatively light.

Here is a quick list of what I build after Xorg to support firefox
(ignoring fonts - DejaVu is probably sufficient for Paul) - items
with square brackets are other toolkits or e.g. for TeX.

rxvt-unicode (instead of xterm)
fluxbox (I cannot get on with twm, this lets me use X)

pm-utils
xbindkeys (to map a key to pm-suspend)
iso-codes
dbus
icon-naming-utils
startup-notification
glib2
cairo
dbus-glib
hicolor-icon-theme
desktop-file-utils
libgudev
icu4c (if not already built - I now build it very early)

[ libarchive
[ cmake
[ graphite2
[ harfbuzz
[ freetype (reinstalled for harfbuzz)

pango
atk
shared-mime-info
gdk-pixbuf
zip
nspr
nss
lcms2 - you might not need this or the next two
libusb
colord

[ libpaper

usbutils - again, you might not need this
libtasn1 - this and the next two are for cups
nettle
gnutls
cups (I forget the reason for building it before gtk2, but it is
something to do with being able to see the print queues)

gtk2

[ at-spi2-core
[ at-spi2-atk
[ gtk3

icewm (my favourite wm)
pnmixer (so I can change volumes without wasting a term)
libglade (for xscreensaver)
xscreensaver
libogg
libvorbis
libevent (there is some doubt if firefox really uses this)
libtheora
flac (this was just a convenient place to build it)
vorbis-tools
libvpx
gstreamer
gst-plugins-base
firefox

There is a question if firefox actually needs gstreamer - it
certainly _references_ ffmpeg, but when I was testing (ff 44.0 I
think) on my then test machine I installed it onto all the systems -
one of them was incomplete and did not have ffmpeg, but youtube
still worked.

ĸen