[blfs-support] Toolkits

Igor Živković contact at igor-zivkovic.from.hr
Tue Mar 8 00:57:16 PST 2016

On 03/08/2016 04:17 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> There is a question if firefox actually needs gstreamer - it
> certainly _references_ ffmpeg, but when I was testing (ff 44.0 I
> think) on my then test machine I installed it onto all the systems -
> one of them was incomplete and did not have ffmpeg, but youtube
> still worked.

I ditched gstreamer completely from my systems as soon as firefox
decided to use ffmpeg by default so I can confirm that it doesn't need it.

Youtube might not be the best site to test video playback though as it
tries to guess which formats your browser can play and picks one. For
example, this one might be better:
http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

--
Igor Živković