[blfs-support] remote display

Pol Vangheluwe pol.vangheluwe at belgacom.net
Thu Mar 10 13:50:09 PST 2016

> Op 10 mrt. 2016, om 21:06 heeft Arnie Stender <astender777 at gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hello,
>   Back when I did this for a living I used to remotely display all kinds of X applications to my local desktop. I always thought that functionality was built into the X-Server. I can't seem to make it happen. I have a number of workstations connected to a KVM and I have my good keyboard connected to them. Now I have this new BLFS workstation I am building and I want to run all the build processes on that system but use my normal desktop and keyboard. I have killed the firewall, run xhost +, and have been trying to run firefox and xterm from the BLFS system and display the windows on my other desktop. All I get is errors. For example when I run 'xterm -display stender3:0' I get: "xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: stender3:0". Once again either something has changed or I am missing some simple but key factor. Seems to me I used to remotely display an entire desktop but that may have been when all I had was an X-terminal. When I tried that I got display in use errors. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. I didn't say it before but I killed the firewall and ran xhost + on stender3 where I expect to see the xterm pop up. From what I can find in man pages and on the web it looks like it should still be possible.
> Arnie
> --

So, you want to set up a connection from your desktop (the screen server) to your BLFS system (the screen client)?
Did you allow X11 forwarding on your client?  Check with grep X11 /etc/ssh/sshd_config ~/.ssh/*grep

Then connect with ssh -Y <your login>@<your client> and start an app.
(this is the way I do with my iMac as server)

pvg