[blfs-support] remote display

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:47:58 PST 2016

Arnie Stender wrote:

> OK, I think I am losing or maybe have lost my mind. A couple days ago
> Bruce gave me a long post with detailed instructions on how to work
> through my remote display problem. Some how, some way, I have managed to
> lost it before I got around to doing it. I have been up on the archive and
> have searched for the "remote display" subject. I see a number of posts
> from different people on a lot of different subjects from this month but
> not my posts or any of the reply posts from Bruce, Pol or anyone else. Is
> there a time delay before the posts go to archive?

It should be in the archive, but I don't see it either.

> Bruce, If you would be so kind, could you please resend that detailed set
> of instruction?

Here you go.

First, the server has to support X.  In /etc/ssh/sshd_config you should have:

X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost no
XAuthLocation /opt/xorg/bin/xauth  (if Xorg is installed in /opt)

If a change is needed, reload sshd.  (/etc/init.d/sshd reload)

On the client side:

~/.ssh/config

Host 192.168.1.22  (ip of remote or name is in /etc/hosts)
ForwardX11Trusted yes
ForwardX11 yes

========

If you run 'ssh -v  remote', you should see

debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.

Do NOT change DISPLAY.  You do not need the xhost command either. The
sever will set DISPLAY to

remote:10.0

If you have multiple sessions, it will change to remote:11.0, 12, 13, etc.
That's what the default X11DisplayOffset above does.

Then just run something like xclock and it should come up on your client.

Note that gtk+3 based apps will not display properly.  They don't look up
settings on the remote system and look horrible, although they do run.  I
think they need something on the local system, but I have yet to figure
that out.

You can also troubleshoot the sshd daemon.  You have to run on the remote
system '/usr/sbin/sshd -d'  and it puts debug info to the screen and the
daemon does not go to the background.  That's how I figured out that
XAuthLocation was needed.

   -- Bruce