[blfs-support] remote display

Arnie Stender astender777 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:48:22 PST 2016

On 03/12/2016 02:47 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Here you go.
>
> First, the server has to support X.  In /etc/ssh/sshd_config you
> should have:
>
> X11Forwarding yes
> #X11DisplayOffset 10
> X11UseLocalhost no
> XAuthLocation /opt/xorg/bin/xauth  (if Xorg is installed in /opt)
>
> If a change is needed, reload sshd.  (/etc/init.d/sshd reload)
>
> On the client side:
>
> ~/.ssh/config
> ineresting
> Host 192.168.1.22  (ip of remote or name is in /etc/hosts)
> ForwardX11Trusted yes
> ForwardX11 yes
>
> ========
>
> If you run 'ssh -v  remote', you should see
>
> debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
>
> Do NOT change DISPLAY.  You do not need the xhost command either. The
> sever will set DISPLAY to
>
> remote:10.0
>
> If you have multiple sessions, it will change to remote:11.0, 12, 13,
> etc.
> That's what the default X11DisplayOffset above does.
>
> Then just run something like xclock and it should come up on your client.
>
> Note that gtk+3 based apps will not display properly.  They don't look
> up settings on the remote system and look horrible, although they do
> run.  I think they need something on the local system, but I have yet
> to figure that out. ineresting
>
> You can also troubleshoot the sshd daemon.  You have to run on the
> remote system '/usr/sbin/sshd -d'  and it puts debug info to the
> screen and the daemon does not go to the background.  That's how I
> figured out that XAuthLocation was needed.
>
>   -- Bruce

Bruce,
     I find all this VERY interesting. I was surprised to see the
UseLocalHost set to no. Both sides on my machines were set to yes. There
were some other things I changed in the config files like mine had PAM
turned on and I don't use PAM. None of that seemed to make a difference.
I did the ssh -v and the sshd -d and didn't see the XAuthLocation you
saw. But since I tried everything else you have here and it still wasn't
working I included a line like you have here even though there was no
such line in the file. The others were all there although some were
commented out and needed to be UN-commented and changed. I added the
xauth line with the usr/bin/xauth path and restarted sshd. Works like a
charm. Thank you so much for helping me work through this. It will help
greatly.

     And thanks to all the others who sent me links and copies of the
post. I will now have to go look at the archives again and try and find
out why I couldn't find the post. The way the page reads it sounded like
using the search would work best so that is what I did. I searched on
the subject line and it brought back nothing of what I wanted to see but
it did bring back a lot of posts from the right time frame. I didn't see
anywhere I could tell which list to search but I probably missed that
like I have other things. :-( Thanks again to all.

Arnie