[blfs-support] Building Firefox-38esr JS error

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 13 10:42:24 PDT 2016

> Hi-
>
>    You may already know this, but in my experience FF needs a fair bit
>    of free disk space for the final link, and gives weird errors when
>    it doesn't have enough (ones other than the more helpful "no space
>    left on device").
>
>             -Andrew Warshall

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I know it's big.  I upgraded my 7.2 system to FF-35.0.1, and the
build directory at the end was ~5GB--can't say what it peaked at during
the build, of course.  So it was time to spend the morning swapping
systems to get it from a 10GB partition to a 20.  There are now 9.6GB
free, prebuild.  I found I had to upgrade NSS/NSPR & sqlite for FF-38.7.

As you suggest, the error itself implies to me a missing internally
generated constant at link time, which suggests to me that it isn't
something missing in my external environment, especially since that
string was found in other binary files.  Seems more like a Mozilla
error, but it's confusing that it'd be in 38.1, .6, & .7, all in an
ESR version!  (OTOH, blowing your configure file is kinda bonehead.)

I just don't know what to do if not try 37 or 39.  Since I'm likely to
live with this system for a while (I'm not planning on jumping a couple
more versions of LFS as soon as I finish), the 38esr had attractions.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm

http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail