[blfs-support] Building Firefox-38esr JS error

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 13 14:25:37 PDT 2016

> You are aware that current BLFS has Firefox 45, not 38, correct?

Yes, Chris, of course, but I'm still working on building a 7.7 system
that recommends -36.  I wanted to upgrade that a bit.

> I think Paul got sucked in by the Extended Support Release name:
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Certainly, Ken.  Firefox has been known to have flaws needing attention.
I was hoping the ESR would be a "better" release.  Unfortunately, IMO,
since they've gotten on this "rapid release" kick, the quality of the
builds has gone down, "Don't worry about it, we'll fix it in the next
release."  NOT!  I just tried -39 and it failed in the same place.  One
wonders how THEY get their binaries built...

> These *are* still maintained for a few releases of current firefox, so
> they should get the vulnerability fixes.  But almost nobody here
> builds them.

;-)  You guys throw them away and go on to the next too fast to matter!

> I think Andrew is right - the link probably needs more space.

Nope, even when this most recent -39 try finished it had 7.6GB free
disk.

> .../Linux_and_MacOS_build_preparation
>
> mentions 2GB RAM with lots of available swap space, recommends 6GB

That RAM is obvoiusly per make job.  I was running 6 on my 12GB i7, and
top in another xterm.  I saw up to 42.5% memory commitment from top.
That's fine, never want 100%!

I don't know, going back to -j1?  That'd be slow, but no slower than
trying for more than a day on this...

> free disk space for optimized builds.  It then says "As of early 2015,
> it is no longer possible to do a full compile of Firefox from source
> on most 32-bit systems; a 64-bit OS is required."
>
> Sounds unlikely, but who knows.

I compiled -35.0.1 on my 32-bit 7.2 system.  Don't know how that
figures.

p.s. finally got my digest, after 2PM PST.  Ususally comes at noon.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm

http://www.fastmail.com - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own