[blfs-support] Building Firefox-38esr JS error

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 13 15:11:51 PDT 2016

> According to wikipedia (not necessarily the most reliable source, but
> it was the best I could find), the current ESR releases are
> 38.7. and 45.0 ESR (I'm not sure, but I suppose that is identical to
> 45.0).  That implies 38.7.0 is the last 38 release.  And the next
> ESR after 45 will be 52.

I already kicked off -39 with -j1, just to see if some part of it
doesn't work with parallel builds.  "It's just machine cycles going to
waste anyhow."

> I've dropped my systems older than LFS-7.6 (glibc - I know you worked
> around that using /tools - but also I was not looking forward to
> upgrading systems where the openssl version reached EOL), but I used
> to have several older releases and they mostly were able to build the
> current release without too much difficulty.

The only reason I upgrade is because some of the sites that have to
work for me think it's great to use whatever is latest and greatest--
"necessary" never enters their minds.  They want everybody to use
Windows Internet Explorer (yeah, sure thing!), but they barely
tolerate Firefox.

> I know that you think you are safe because of your firewalling, but

Safe is a relative term.  Nobody's safe while browsers can use
javascript!  But I try to be prudent.  No reason not to have a strict
firewall.  I think it's got 140-150 rules!  (Varies with how many sites
I blacklist, or muzzle.)  I _could_ post it...

> almost every new version of firefox includes vulnerability fixes. See
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox/
> and please note the definition of Critical: Vulnerability can be used
> to run attacker code and install software, requiring no user
> interaction beyond normal browsing.

And notice all it says is what they FIXED, not what's outstanding!  But
that's why I tried with the ESR.  But it appears they've EOL'd -38.

WTF, -45 *claims* to only need "GTK+ 2.18 or higher"
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/45.0/system-requirements/ maybe
I'll give that a whirl after I see what -39 does -j1.

> And yes, this rebuilding is a pain - it comes with being our own
> sysadmin.

Yeah, I can do that, but the aim is to be a computer USER!  That's why I
don't see the need to build the latest versions of LFS.  I've been
working on this one since New Years!

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own