[blfs-support] errors running parole from book 7.8

Arnie Stender astender777 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 09:09:01 PDT 2016

Hello,
         I have put off making this post tell I had a working mailer on
my new BLFS system so I could cut and paste the messages into the post.
I seem to be able to play both audio and video files on the computer
fine. My problem is that although getting no errors compiling parole or
playing files any time I try to play either an audio CD or a DVD I get
differing error messages. Also, just starting the app I stream 26
different Warnings about GStreamer events then when they stop I get the
following:

(parole:1093): GStreamer-WARNING **:
gstpad.c:4655:store_sticky_event:<aconv:sink> Sticky event misordering,
got 'segment' before 'caps'
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/xdg-screensaver-astender--0.dpms': No such file
or directory
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.

Every time I click on some button in the app I get more messages like
these. I only see the messages when I start the app from the command
line. If I start it from the menu I don't see them. I only hope they are
being sent to /dev/null instead of filling up disk space in some log
somewhere.

At any rate if I am trying to play one of my fishing DVDs I get audio
and the video in the main menu. I can select other options and continue
to get what I am supposed to but when I try to actually "play" the DVD I
get the following:

Additional software is required.
Parole needs DVD AC-3 (ATSC A/52) decoder to play this file.
It can be installed automatically.

Because of the errors I have been getting I have compiled the entire
section:

      XIII. Multimedia
      <http://stender2/BeyondLinuxFromScratch.html#multimedia>

  *

            45. Multimedia Libraries and Drivers
            <http://stender2/BeyondLinuxFromScratch.html#multimedia-libdriv>

which includes:

Liba52-0.7.4 <http://stender2/BeyondLinuxFromScratch.html#liba52>

Part of the reason I built the whole of section 45 was the messages I
got while trying to play an audio CD. The errors were telling me I
needed more software like above but I don't get those anymore. Now I get
the following:

GStreamer backend error
Could not handle CDDA URI

I know nothing about GStreamer but I am thinking the two problems are
related. As an aside (I should probably make a separate post for this
but) when I insert the CD, DVD, SD card etc, I would like the system to
acknowledge their presence and ask me what I want to do with them. I get
nothing. I think that has to do with udev rules but that is another
topic I know nothing about. I thought the last time I built a BLFS
system it included the necessary rules but I don't see them. If you can
point me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in
advance.

Arnie