[blfs-support] errors running parole from book 7.8

Wayne Blaszczyk wblaszcz at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 17 13:36:29 PDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 11:09 -0500, Arnie Stender wrote:
> Hello,
>         I have put off making this post tell I had a working mailer
> on my new BLFS system so I could cut and paste the messages into the
> post. I seem to be able to play both audio and video files on the
> computer fine. My problem is that although getting no errors
> compiling parole or playing files any time I try to play either an
> audio CD or a DVD I get differing error messages. Also, just starting
> the app I stream 26 different Warnings about GStreamer events then
> when they stop I get the following:
>
> (parole:1093): GStreamer-WARNING **:
> gstpad.c:4655:store_sticky_event:<aconv:sink> Sticky event
> misordering, got 'segment' before 'caps'
> rm: cannot remove '/tmp/xdg-screensaver-astender--0.dpms': No such
> file or directory
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
> discouraged.
>

> Every time I click on some button in the app I get more messages like
> these. I only see the messages when I start the app from the command
> line. If I start it from the menu I don't see them. I only hope they
> are being sent to /dev/null instead of filling up disk space in some
> log somewhere.
>
> At any rate if I am trying to play one of my fishing DVDs I get audio
> and the video in the main menu. I can select other options and
> continue to get what I am supposed to but when I try to actually
> "play" the DVD I get the following:
>
> Additional software is required.
> Parole needs DVD AC-3 (ATSC A/52) decoder to play this file.
> It can be installed automatically.
>
> Because of the errors I have been getting I have compiled the entire
> section:
> XIII. Multimedia
> 45. Multimedia Libraries and Drivers
> which includes:
>
> Liba52-0.7.4
>
> Part of the reason I built the whole of section 45 was the messages I
> got while trying to play an audio CD. The errors were telling me I
> needed more software like above but I don't get those anymore. Now I
> get the following:
>
> GStreamer backend error
> Could not handle CDDA URI
>
> I know nothing about GStreamer but I am thinking the two problems are
> related. As an aside (I should probably make a separate post for this
> but) when I insert the CD, DVD, SD card etc, I would like the system
> to acknowledge their presence and ask me what I want to do with them.
> I get nothing. I think that has to do with udev rules but that is
> another topic I know nothing about. I thought the last time I built a
> BLFS system it included the necessary rules but I don't see them. If
> you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it
> greatly. Thanks in advance.
>
> Arnie
> --

I haven't built parole myself, but looking at the errors, I'm guessing
you didn't build the other gst-plugins-* packages or if you did, you
did not include some of the optional dependencies.

Parole needs DVD AC-3 (ATSC A/52) decoder to play this file.:
Build gst-plugins-ugly with liba52-0.7.4 .

Could not handle CDDA URI:
Build gst-plugins-base with CDParanoia-III and libcdio.

Regards,
Wayne.