[blfs-support] errors running parole from book 7.8

Arnie Stender astender777 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 14:22:49 PDT 2016

On 03/17/16 15:36, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 11:09 -0500, Arnie Stender wrote:
>> Because of the errors I have been getting I have compiled the entire
>> section:
>> XIII. Multimedia
>> 45. Multimedia Libraries and Drivers
>> which includes:
>>
>> Liba52-0.7.4
>>
>> Part of the reason I built the whole of section 45 was the messages I
>> got while trying to play an audio CD. The errors were telling me I
>> needed more software like above but I don't get those anymore. Now I
>> get the following:
>>
>> GStreamer backend error
>> Could not handle CDDA URI
>>
>> I know nothing about GStreamer but I am thinking the two problems are
>> related. As an aside (I should probably make a separate post for this
>> but) when I insert the CD, DVD, SD card etc, I would like the system
>> to acknowledge their presence and ask me what I want to do with them.
>> I get nothing. I think that has to do with udev rules but that is
>> another topic I know nothing about. I thought the last time I built a
>> BLFS system it included the necessary rules but I don't see them. If
>> you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it
>> greatly. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Arnie
> I haven't built parole myself, but looking at the errors, I'm guessing
> you didn't build the other gst-plugins-* packages or if you did, you
> did not include some of the optional dependencies.
>
> Parole needs DVD AC-3 (ATSC A/52) decoder to play this file.:
> Build gst-plugins-ugly with liba52-0.7.4 .
>
> Could not handle CDDA URI:
> Build gst-plugins-base with CDParanoia-III and libcdio.
>
> Regards,
> Wayne.

Hi Wayne,
     Thanks for the detailed instruction. I did what you said with the
gst-plugin-ugly and after a number of compiles and re-compiles the video
(DVD) is working partially. I can now play the whole DVD although the
one I have been testing with has a sub-menu that has 6 different entry
points and no matter which I click the whole DVD plays. Also, I don't
see any way to get back to the main menu once into playing the DVD. The
audio is still giving me the same error message after following your
instruction and even going back to GStreamer and compiling one of the
optional packages I had not done before. I am going to go through the
whole list of plugin packages and recompile with as many of the optional
as I can. I have already compiled all the recommended and required
packages. Any other ideas for the audio?

Arnie