[blfs-support] CDROM not being detected

Michael D. L. blfs-support at cosis.dk
Sat Mar 26 01:22:59 PDT 2016

On 03/25/2016 02:16 PM, Victor Wren wrote:
> This should maybe be on LFS-SUPPORT, but I ran into problems when I
> started populating X11 with apps that needed access to the cdrom, so
> here I am.  I'm pulling my hair out over this.  I'm upgrading from an
> LFS 6.1 system that I've used for years, going with the 7.9 book.
> Instead of the 4.4.2 kernel, I used the 4.4.4 kernel.  I've compared
> the kernel config between my last install and the
> current install, and I can't see any differences.  The system,
> however, is not seeing the SATA CDROM at all.
> /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info has all empty fields.  Obviously there's no
> /dev/sr0 device, so there's nothing for udev to work with.  I can find
> no messages in dmesg related to the cdrom.
>
> When I boot it off of my RIP-Linux USB drive, it sees the cdrom drive
> just fine, and I can boot from CD, so the drive is functional and
> recognized by other Linux variants.
Hi Victor,

I think you might need to enable these two also:

CONFIG_ATA_BMDMA=Y
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y

-> Device Drivers
   -> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers (libata)
     -> ATA SFF support (for legacy IDE and PATA)

        [*]     ATA BMDMA support
        <*>     Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA support

Best regards
  Michael