[blfs-support] Plasma starts with black screen

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:16:37 PDT 2016

Cliff McDiarmid wrote:

> Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 5:17 PM From: "Bruce Dubbs"
> <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> To: "BLFS Support List"
> <blfs-support at lists.linuxfromscratch.org> Subject: Re: [blfs-support]
> Plasma starts with black screen Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have just installe0d Plasma 5.5.4 on LFS. I created a new user to
>> boot from so new dirs were created. I am getting the splash screen
>> and 'loading bar' after which it stops at a black screen with mouse
>> pointer.
>>
>> The .x.session-errors file is attached. Aside from a Kmix crash
>> which appears(on screen as well) and a QML file that fails to load,
>> there are other errors, but I need a pointer as to what is wrong. Any
>> ideas here?
>
>> Did you create the symlinks?
>
>> cd $KF5_PREFIX/share/plasma/plasmoids
>
>> for j in $(find -name \*.js); do as_root ln -sfv ../code/$(basename
>> $j) $(dirname $j)/../ui/ done
>
>> Also, I try plasma-5.6.0 at
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/kde/plasma-all.html
>
> Thanks for that
>
> No, hadn't created them, but it hasn't made any difference.   Will
> probably go for later Plasma.
>
> One question.  Does Frameworks have to be latest, along with Plasma?  I
> assume it would be best?

I build using /opt/kf5 -> kf5-5.19.0.  It's relatively easy to build all
of lf5/plasma bu removing /opt/kde and, if needed, renaming
/opt/kf5-5.19.0.  Of course if the kf5 version is different, then the
renaming is not needed.

When you build, be sure to redirect the output to a log so you can inspect
it.  In my build script I use:

     cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KF5_PREFIX \
           -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release         \
           -DLIB_INSTALL_DIR=lib              \
           -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF                \
           $OPTS                              \
           -Wno-dev .. 2>&1 | tee -a $LOG

     make -j8          2>&1 | tee -a $LOG
     sudo -E make install 2>&1 | tee -a $LOG

Of course $KF5_PREFIX and $LOG have to be defined.

   -- Bruce