[blfs-support] BLFS 7.10 fonts less clear than in 7.9

rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 06:14:15 PST 2016

I found simply deleting or renaming
/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf restores the less bold fonts I
had in BLFS 7.9.  I believe another solution is to use the following
code in /etc/fonts/local.conf:

  <match target="font">
   <edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
    <bool>true</bool>
   </edit>
  </match>
  <match target="font">
   <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
    <const>hintfull</const>
   </edit>
  </match>
<!-- enable/disable autohinter -->
  <match target="font">
   <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
    <bool>false</bool>
   </edit>
  </match>

This is not a BLFS problem and probably not a fontconfig-2.12.1
problem.  But I prefer the clearer, less bold fonts of
fontconfig-2.11.1.  There may be other ways but if this helps someone
who also prefers the previous fonts - great.