[blfs-support] BLFS 7.10 fonts less clear than in 7.9.

rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 04:56:24 PDT 2016

On 09/19/2016 02:53 PM, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 19:29:19 +0100
> Ken Moffat<zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com>  wrote:
>
>> The internet has a plethora of suggestions for tweaking what happens
>> in fontconfig.
> The quality of on-screen font rendering under Linux has long irked me.
> It seems that after I finally get things the way I like, some upgrade
> to Freetype or GTK comes along that breaks something. There have been
> some really bad releases of Freetype in the past, IMHO.
>
> Anyway, below is my /etc/fonts/local.conf receipe (I'm running Freetype
> 2.6.3 with Fontconfig-2.11.1) that I like best on my system (so far).
> Note that I am unusual in that I use the venerable Type 1 Nimbus fonts
> for default on screen rendering. Try my font config, rhubarb pie guy,
> and let us know if you like it or if it helps at all. Be sure and
> adjust the paths for your case as needed.
>
>    Cheers,
>
>    Mike Shell

Thank you for responding and I appreciate the config.conf.  Perhaps
things differ by box, but your file accentuates what I got with the
standard 7.10 fontconfig.  It produces fonts bolder than I like. That
was the main problem with 7.10 and the new fontconfig; bold became
bolder and less crisp.

I'll study your file as I've not used /etc/fonts/local.conf.  I've not
noticed fontconfig messing up my fonts but perhaps it's been less severe
than with the 7.10 fontconfig.  It's good to know I can fight back
should the problem worsen with future versions of fontconfig.