6.21 E2fsprogs-1.41.10 101 Tests failured -make check

Bill Brown wubrown at gmail.com
Tue May 4 15:28:39 PDT 2010

I have spend a good day trying to figure out the cause of all tests
failing except for the first two and last two when issuing the 'make
check' command;

I am using the 6.6 version of the LFS book.  Running on Ubuntu desktop
9.10.  Which in turn is a virtual machine on VMware ESXi 4.0 free.  I am
new to Linux development but have considerable console programming
experience in C, C++, Java and earlier languages.  I am wanting to begin
an open source development project to run on Linux so looking to broaden
my foundation via this LFS process.

So I am looking for help in this specific problem but also want to
understand what were the key observations that lead to the solution.
Below is the test results section listed on the terminal during 'make
check' with the middle 97 failed tests snipped out of the middle:

Creating test_script...
Running e2fsprogs test suite...

d_loaddump: debugfs load/dump test: cmp: test.verify: No such file or
directory
failed
e_brel_bma: block relocation table using the memory array
implementation: skipped
e_icount_normal: inode counting abstraction optimized for storing inode
counts: ok
e_icount_opt: inode counting abstraction optimized for counting: ok
e_irel_ima: inode relocation table using the memory array
implementation: skipped
f_16384_block: 16384 byte blocksize: failed
f_8192_block: 8192 byte blocksize: failed
<SNIP -97 other failed tests>
r_inline_xattr: shrinking filesystem with in-inode extended attributes:
failed
r_move_itable: filesystem resize which requires moving the inode table:
failed
r_resize_inode: filesystem resize with a resize_inode present: failed
u_mke2fs: e2undo with mke2fs: ok
u_tune2fs: e2undo with tune2fs: ok
4 tests succeeded    101 tests failed
make[1]: *** [check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/e2fsprogs-1.41.10/build/tests'
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

I used the standard config command from the book:
../configure --prefix=/usr --with-root-prefix="" \
--enable-elf-shlibs --disable-libblkid --disable-libuuid \
--disable-uuidd --disable-fsck

Thanks for any insights...  Bill