Make error in glibc

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed May 5 13:57:45 PDT 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Rather than try to figure out what packages actually require
> bash features, and contact their maintainers, and then hope to
> get fixes in place, they have chosen simply to say "make
> /bin/sh point to a copy of bash".

Actually, the last time I checked, one of the main packages that have
the problem is glibc and it has been brought up.  In the past they
refused to change, although they only need to change

#!/bin/sh

#!/bin/bash

I don't know if this is the current status or not, however, there is
really no advantage in not using bash.  After all, it's the only shell
available after you chroot.

I really don't understand why some distros use dash.  Yes, dash is
smaller and faster, but although the differences are measurable, they
are not discernible to the user.

   -- Bruce