toolchain problem?

henk.boswijk at hccnet.nl henk.boswijk at hccnet.nl
Sat May 15 11:09:45 PDT 2010

LFS 6.6
After the first pass of Binutils in chapter 5 I end up with 14 files
(binaries) in /mnt/lfs/tools/bin, but they have names that include the
$LFS_TGT, like this:
i686-lfs-linux-gnu-addr2line
i686-lfs-linux-gnu-ar
i686-lfs-linux-gnu-as
etc.
In /mnt/lfs/tools/i686-linux-gnu/bin the files have their regular names,
but there are only 8 instead of 14 of them:
ar
as
ld
nm
objcopy
objdump
ranlib
strip
The other 6 files are missing.
In paragraph 5.2 of the book it is stated that:
"Binutils installs its assembler and linker in two locations, /tools/bin
and /tools/$LFS_TGT/bin. The tools in one location are hard linked to the
other." It seems I have been failing to reach this result.
As far as I know I have not deviated from the instructions in the book.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Henk Boswijk