LFS for old Compaq LTE 5300 laptop

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Tue May 18 06:27:00 PDT 2010

On 18/05/10 12:03, Leho Pärnapuu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have one old Laptop: Compaq LTE 5300.
>
> It has:
> 133MHz CPU
> 32MB RAM
> 2167MB Hard Disk Drive
>
> PCMCIA TRENDnet Wireless CardBus IEEE 802.11b/2.4GHz
> TEW-226PC
>
> It does not have boot option from CD, but does have from 1.44MB Floppy drive.
>
> CD drive and Floppy drive are changeable - either one of them works at a time.
>
> I have Win98 on there at the moment.
>
> Is it possible to compile the LFS on Desktop PC with:
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ CPU
> And then copy the LFS to this old Laptop?

It depends what cpu the laptop has. Is it i686 or i486? If it's i686 then it
should be possible to make a couple of partitions on the Desktop PC, install
a 32 bit distro on one partition and compile LFS on the other partition and
then copy it over to the laptop when you're done.
If the laptop's cpu is older than i686 then I don't know.
How will you write the data to the laptop if you don't have linux installed
there? Could you take the hard drive out and connect it to the desktop PC?
That would simplify things a bit.

Andy