LFS for old Compaq LTE 5300 laptop

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 18 10:41:16 PDT 2010

Leho Pärnapuu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have one old Laptop: Compaq LTE 5300.
>
> It has:
> 133MHz CPU
> 32MB RAM
> 2167MB Hard Disk Drive

With only 32MB RAM, Linux is going to be cramped.
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to run an X Window
system on there. If CLI is all you want, that may
be ok. I've run Linux in 16 MB of RAM, so it can be
done.

> PCMCIA TRENDnet Wireless CardBus IEEE 802.11b/2.4GHz
> TEW-226PC
>
> It does not have boot option from CD, but does have from 1.44MB Floppy
> drive.
>
> CD drive and Floppy drive are changeable - either one of them works at a
> time.
>
> I have Win98 on there at the moment.
>
> Is it possible to compile the LFS on Desktop PC with:
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ CPU
> And then copy the LFS to this old Laptop?
>
> Copy and install with tomsrtbt over the LAN.

I've run TomsRTBT, but don't recall whether it has LAN
capabilities. Another possibility would be, if you can
get an adapter which lets you install the laptop's disc
in your regular machine, to use it directly.

> Is it doable? Do I need to built it as CLFS or can I built as a regular LFS?

If you build on a VM, you shouldn't have a problem, which
is the way I would likely do it. CLFS seems like much more
trouble and chances for mistakes.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.