chapter 6.16: configure: error: in `/sources/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':, ... C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

mhenriquezs at terra.cl mhenriquezs at terra.cl
Wed May 26 09:46:11 PDT 2010

On 05/26/2010 12:06 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
> mhenriquezs at terra.cl wrote:
>
>> Ok sorry, it was not my intention to make a big deal about this, in any
>> case I fixed my self, so hope that this don't make to much troubles to
>> the list..
>>
> Don't worry. Nobody's angry or anything.
>
> IMO, if the same problem crops up repeatedly, with different readers
> (and it does) then there's a problem with the book.
>
> To put it another way, if the question keeps coming up, and is a
> big PITA in the list, then the effort of putting that into the book
> in each section becomes less trouble than answering on the list
> over and over.

Completly agree, in my experience, when I'm at the "building packages"
sections, it become kind of a "semi-autonomous" steps and don't have in
mind the "general instructions", just focus myself on the "package
instructions", so even better of a link to pre and post build
instructions (sugested in other mail) may be just 1 instruction line
before the build of each package like:

Pre-Build: uncompress, enter...

and other after the build:

Post-Build: delete sources, delete build directory, check...

I know that it is repetitive, but is not to much space and it give the
chance to put special pre and post instruction per package if are
needed, other instruction are repetitive and they are on the book like
"./configure --prefix=/usr" and the book don't keep that in "general
instructions"..

just a though..

Mauricio

> [...]
>

>>> The important note #1 in ch 5.3 is clear.
>>> However, "General Compilation Instructions"  never specifies the flow
>>> of events expected to follow:
>>>
>>> 1 - make sure $LFS is set to the target directory (export LFS=/mnt/lfs)
>>> 2 - change directory to $LFS/sources
>>> 3 - unpack the package tarball
>>> 4 - change directory to the unpacked directory created by tar
>>> 5 - follow package build and install instructions
>>> 6 - change directory to $LFS/sources