[lfs-support] AMD Catalyst drivers and LFS-7.1ish

Kristian Poul Herkild kristian at herkild.dk
Wed Jun 6 16:39:00 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-07 01:16:27 +0200 Eleanore Boyd <cara117 at cox.net> wrote:

> On 6/6/2012 6:09 PM, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
>> How on Earth does one manage to get that binary piece of junk to
>> work?
>> I've tried several approaches now, and after a few weeks with no luck
>> getting first 12.2 and now 12.4 to work I'm about to give up.
>>
>> Has anybody managed to get AMD Catalyst drivers to work with
>> LFS-7.1ish?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Kristian Poul Herkild
>>
> ........what? What are you talking about? The LFS system, the Linux
> kernel,
> the drivers, what?
>
> And no binary can be called a piece of junk unless it's 1: ancient,
> or 2:
> buggy. Plus, it's rather rude to say such things on this list, so
> please
> clean up your language.
>
> Elly

Don't get your knickers wet, Elly. And don't mail me directly again.
Only reply to the list. If your mail client cannot do that, please
change mail client.

The 'binary piece of junk' I referred to was the proprietary, binary
blob from AMD known as AMD Catalyst (drivers for Radeon graphics
cards), as is evident from the subject line. They are known to be
buggy, and besides that all proprietary, non-free, closed-source,
binary-blob software qualify as junk - by definition.

Do you prefer a different word than 'junk'? It is no worse than
'garbage' or 'filth'. Since the driver taints my kernel (or it will,
should I get it working) it is certainly filthy, and as such at the
very least also junk. You could even say 'filthy junk'.

What I want to know is if anybody has managed to get the proprietary,
non-free drivers known as AMD Catalyst to work on their LFS-system?
And if the answer is yes, what did you do to make it work?

Kind regards,
Kristian Poul Herkild

P.S. Anybody who replies directly to my private mail address will have
their mail address added to my kill-filter. Only reply to list.
Please.