[lfs-support] Cannot boot to LFS with seperate boot partition

Yasser Zamani yasser.zamani at live.com
Wed Jun 20 22:13:00 PDT 2012

Hi there,

When I reboot to LFS with following /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg, after selecting the boot menu, it tells me "error: file not found"
 cat > /etc/fstab << "EOF"
# Begin /etc/fstab
# file system  mount-point  type     options             dump  fsck
#                                                              order
/dev/sda6     /            ext3    defaults            1     1
/dev/sda7     /boot            ext3    defaults            1     1
/dev/sda8     /home            ext3    defaults            1     1
/dev/sda9     /opt            ext3    defaults            1     1
/dev/sda10     /tmp            ext3    defaults            1     1
/dev/sda11     /usr/src            ext3    defaults            1     1
/dev/sda5     swap         swap     pri=1               0     0
proc           /proc        proc     nosuid,noexec,nodev 0     0
sysfs          /sys         sysfs    nosuid,noexec,nodev 0     0
devpts         /dev/pts     devpts   gid=5,mode=620      0     0
tmpfs          /run         tmpfs    defaults            0     0
devtmpfs       /dev         devtmpfs mode=0755,nosuid    0     0
# End /etc/fstab
EOFcat > /boot/grub/grub.cfg << "EOF"
# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5
insmod ext3
set root=(hd0,7)
menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.4.1-lfs-SVN-20120617" {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.1-lfs-SVN-20120617 root=/dev/sda6 ro
}
EOF Then I tried following /boot/grub/grub.cfg instead; the result was getting two "file not found"s but after pressing key somethingtakes place on screen then the pc halts and CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK's LEDs are flashing! cat > /boot/grub/grub.cfg << "EOF"
# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5
insmod ext3
set root=(hd0,7)
menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.4.1-lfs-SVN-20120617" {
        linux   /vmlinuz-3.4.1-lfs-SVN-20120617 root=/dev/sda7 ro
}
EOF Could you please help me to understanding followings:Which one takes place at first? Processing and applying /etc/fstab or processing /boot/grub/grub.cfg. If second one takes place at first so how it finds out that where it should look for /boot?What do these LEDs flashing mean?If above two question's answers can not teach me the solution, so could you please help me to sort this problem out?Thanks in advance!