[lfs-support] Cannot boot to LFS with seperate boot partition

Eleanore Boyd cara117 at cox.net
Mon Jun 25 09:30:08 PDT 2012

On 6/25/2012 11:24 AM, Yasser Zamani wrote:
> *snip*
> */root at slax:~# cat /mnt/sda7/grub/grub.cfg/*
>
>     /# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg/
>     /set default=0/
>     /set timeout=5/
>     /*# WHEN I SELECT THIS ENTRY IT TELLS "error: no argument
>     specified" BUT AFTER KEY PRESS ENTERS TO WINDOWS SUCCESSFULLY*/
>     /menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda3)" {/
>     /    insmod part_msdos/
>     /    insmod ntfs/
>     /    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'/
>     /    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 125c5cdd5c5cbd63/
>     /    chainloader +1/
>     /}//**/

*snip*

I see at least one problem: Windows has a problem being on anything
other than the first partition. I remember seeing somewhere that Grub
has a way to trick bootmgr to think it's on the first partition, but I
can't remember the method. Also, I didn't think that "msdos#" was used
to define a partition that's FAT32 or NTFS.

Elly