[lfs-support] Cannot boot to LFS with seperate boot partition

Yasser Zamani yasser.zamani at live.com
Mon Jun 25 10:01:41 PDT 2012

On 6/25/2012 11:24 AM, Yasser Zamani
      wrote:

            *snip*

              root at slax:~# cat /mnt/sda7/grub/grub.cfg

              # Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg

                set default=0

                set timeout=5

                # WHEN I SELECT THIS ENTRY
                      IT TELLS "error: no argument specified" BUT AFTER
                      KEY PRESS ENTERS TO WINDOWS SUCCESSFULLY

                menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda3)" {

                    insmod part_msdos

                    insmod ntfs

                    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'

                    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
                  125c5cdd5c5cbd63

                    chainloader +1

                }

    *snip*

    I see at least one problem: Windows has a problem being on anything
    other than the first partition. I remember seeing somewhere that
    Grub has a way to trick bootmgr to think it's on the first
    partition, but I can't remember the method. Also, I didn't think
    that "msdos#" was used to define a partition that's FAT32 or NTFS.

    Thanks a lot Elly; Before LFS I had Debian in this system and I copied the Windows menuentry from that Debian installation where had not any "not argument..." message. Then I replaced the Debian installation with LFS however with completely different hard partitions structure and sizes (i.e. /etc/fstab). Do you know "search" and "chinloader" commands there? what will happen if I remove them? why this menuentry has two "insmod"s?!

    Elly