[lfs-support] Cannot boot to LFS with seperate boot partition

Eleanore Boyd cara117 at cox.net
Mon Jun 25 10:35:52 PDT 2012

On 6/25/2012 12:01 PM, Yasser Zamani wrote:

>     On 6/25/2012 11:24 AM, Yasser Zamani wrote:
>
>         *snip*
>         */root at slax:~# cat /mnt/sda7/grub/grub.cfg/*
>
>             /# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg/
>             /set default=0/
>             /set timeout=5/
>             /*# WHEN I SELECT THIS ENTRY IT TELLS "error: no argument
>             specified" BUT AFTER KEY PRESS ENTERS TO WINDOWS
>             SUCCESSFULLY*/
>             /menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda3)" {/
>             /    insmod part_msdos/
>             /    insmod ntfs/
>             /    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'/
>             /    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 125c5cdd5c5cbd63/
>             /    chainloader +1/
>             /}/
>
>     *snip*
>
>     I see at least one problem: Windows has a problem being on
>     anything other than the first partition. I remember seeing
>     somewhere that Grub has a way to trick bootmgr to think it's on
>     the first partition, but I can't remember the method. Also, I
>     didn't think that "msdos#" was used to define a partition that's
>     FAT32 or NTFS.
>
> Thanks a lot Elly; Before LFS I had Debian in this system and I copied
> the Windows menuentry from that Debian installation where had not any
> "not argument..." message. Then I replaced the Debian installation
> with LFS however with completely different hard partitions structure
> and sizes (i.e. /etc/fstab). Do you know "search" and "chinloader"
> commands there? what will happen if I remove them? why this menuentry
> has two "insmod"s?!
>

>     Elly

>     above information page

As I recall, "search" looks for the kernel of the system, while
"chainloader" tells Grub where to start looking on the partition. The
"insmod"s specified here seem to be Debian-specific so that Debian's
version of Grub knows how to process the filesystem on the partition.
However, if it's a copy from Debian, and you have different partitions
set up from when you had Debian installed, you should probably try
purging Grub from the system and reinstalling it to get the proper
working boot entries.

Elly