[lfs-support] Cannot boot to LFS with seperate boot partition

Andrew Benton andy at benton.eu.com
Tue Jun 26 02:55:24 PDT 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:24:12 +0100
Yasser Zamani <yasser.zamani at live.com> wrote:

> root at slax:~# cat /mnt/sda7/grub/grub.cfg
> # Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> set default=0
> set timeout=5
> # WHEN I SELECT THIS ENTRY IT TELLS "error: no argument specified" BUT AFTER KEY PRESS ENTERS TO WINDOWS SUCCESSFULLY
> menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda3)" {
>     insmod part_msdos
>     insmod ntfs
>     set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
>     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 125c5cdd5c5cbd63
>     chainloader +1
> }

My guess is that it's the search line that's causing the "error: no
argument specified" message. try removing it.

> # WHEN I SELECT THIS ONE IT TELLS "error: file not found" BUT AFTER KEY PRESS ENTERS TO LFS SUCCESSFULLY
> menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.4.1-lfs-SVN-20120617" {
>     insmod ext3
>     set root=(hd0,7)
>     linux   /vmlinuz-3.4.1-lfs-SVN-20120617 root=/dev/sda6 ro
> }

Is there an ext3.mod? I only have ext2.mod but I find that I've never
needed to insmod anything, grub always does it automatically. Try
removing the insmod line.

The way to test changes is to leave int the entries that work but make
a duplicate with the new modifications (that way you can still boot
with the original entry). Try adding this to your grub.cfg:

menuentry "Windows 7  testing" {
    set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
    chainloader +1
}

menuentry "GNU/Linux testing" {
    set root=(hd0,7)
    linux   /vmlinuz-3.4.1-lfs-SVN-20120617 root=/dev/sda6 ro
}

Andy