[lfs-support] Error compiling Tcl 8.5.11 - Segmentation fault

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:33:43 PDT 2012

Fábio Mattes wrote:
> Hello lfs list, I'm from Brazil and I'm new to the list, I became
> interested in lfs today and was testing to see if I could, but a problem
> arose in the covenant Tcl 8.5.11 when I run make install it returns me as
> follows:
>
> Installing libtcl8.5.so to / tools / lib /
> Installing tclsh as / tools/bin/tclsh8.5
> Installing tclConfig.sh to / tools / lib
> Installing libtclstub8.5.a to / tools / lib
> Installing message catalogs
> segmentation fault
> make: *** [install-messages] Error 139

What you should see is:

Installing libtclstub8.5.a to /tools/lib/
Installing message catalogs
     Creating msgs
Making directory /tools/lib/tcl8.5/opt0.4

I suspect that you have done something wrong a bit earlier as that is
the first time the built tcl is actually used.  It looks like a compiler
or library mis-match.

You are not very far into the build, so I'd recommend starting over
paying close attention to all the book's instructions.  Make sure you
have all the host requirements in section vii.

   -- Bruce