[lfs-support] Cannot boot into LFS install

matthew gruda matthewgruda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:18:45 PST 2013

Oops, pressed the wrong button.  Anyway, i used "update-grub" from the host
system and it detected the LFS install and got this output:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background: /boot/desktop-grub.png
Found background image: /boot/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-36-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-36-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-34-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-34-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Linux From Scratch (7.2) on /dev/sda1
Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda2
done

then, I rebooted into the LFS install and got this error upon booting:
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0) error -6
Kernel Panic - not syncing unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)