[lfs-support] 5.33

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 06:45:12 PST 2015

> Have you done something simple like got $PATH wrong - e.g. have you
> incorrectly put a space after the first colon, such that it's only looking
> in /tools/..... , and skipping /bin &c.
>

> What do you get from:
>
> echo $PATH

~$ echo $PATH
/tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

> Also, when doing the above 'readelf ...' and 'ls ...', try it with the
> full paths - e.g. '/usr/bin/readelf ...' (or '/bin/readelf ...' if nec),
> '/bin/ls ...'  .
>

> If you just type 'cp' or 'mv' or 'readelf' or 'ls' &c, without full or
> relative pathnames, then normally $PATH is searched for the command.

lfs at debian:~$ /bin/readelf -e /tools/bin/ls | grep interpbash:
/bin/readelf: No such file or directory
bash: /tools/bin/grep: No such file or directory
lfs at debian:~$ /usr/bin/readelf -e /tools/bin/ls | grep interp
bash: /tools/bin/grep: No such file or directory
lfs at debian:~$ /bin/readelf
bash: /bin/readelf: No such file or directory
lfs at debian:~$ /bin/ls
history.txt
lfs at debian:~$ tar
bash: /tools/bin/tar: No such file or directory
lfs at debian:~$ /bin/tar
/bin/tar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' or `--test-label'  options
Try `/bin/tar --help' or `/bin/tar --usage' for more information.

> Also, you should be able to verify what $LFS says; plus whether /tools/bin/
> exists and is mounted, and what it contains; plus whether you are in chroot
> or not.

lfs at debian:~$ mount
<edit>
/dev/sda3 on /mnt/lfs type ext4
<edit>
lfs at debian:~$

> Last thing, as a general point, stated again: it really really is normally
> very useful to have built the book manually at least once, prior to trying
> scripting it.

That is exactly what I am going to do. I am copying the text out of the
scripts and pasting them in.

--