[lfs-support] New Lfs 7.8 system with some boot up errors and a question on network

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:13:35 PST 2015

William Harrington wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:26:09 +0100
> Pol Vangheluwe <pol.vangheluwe at belgacom.net> wrote:
>
>> Name=<interface name, reported by “ip link" under LFS>
> Yes or let the user figure out the interface from output in /sys/class/net. I
> think eth0 is used for a generic replaceable option, meaning the user needs to
> replace it.

I think the problem is specific to udev.  In a sysv system, the wired interface is
eth0, etc1, etc.  The problem that udev is trying to solve is the case where there
are multiple ethernet devices and udev is trying to make them consistent.  On most
user based systems, this is not a problem since there is probably only one wired
(eth0) interface.  It is udev that renames the interface to things like enp2s0.

In the base LFS system. we have the user create 70-persistent-net.rules and that
sets the interface name.  The script doesn't work in a VM since there is no
assurance that the MAC address will be the same at every boot, but then there is
probably only one interface there.

The solution is to look at /etc/udev/rules.d or
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules and create a 70-persistent-net.rules file
that works for your system.

   -- Bruce