[lfs-support] File "LFS-BOOK-7.8.pdf" has pdf formatting errors

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 11:01:45 PST 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 09:19:27AM -0600, Joseph Hesse wrote:
>> I started reading LFS-BOOK-7.8.pdf and found something is wrong with the pdf
>> formatting.
>>
>> For example, in the transition from page xvii to xviii, the script is
>> missing the usual #!/bin/bash on the top and page xviii does not have the
>> page header on the upper right hand side.
>>
>> I noticed that text was missing before the program listing (presumably the
>> bottom of page xvii) when I copied the text from the pdf to a file that I
>> could run as a bash script.
>>
>> I tried reading the downloaded file with evince on Fedora 23 and from
>> Firefox directly from your web site.
>>
>> Can I obtain this book in some other format?

> Don't use the PDF.  If you want to copy-n-paste use the html in a
> browser, either the LFS-BOOK-7.8.tar.bz2 or just read the stable
> book online.

The pdf is not great, and html is certainly preferred.  The problem is
that the host system requirements script, version-check.sh, is too long to
fit in a single pdf page.  I've updated the pdf on the website to add a
hard break in the current pdf file so it now renders properly.

Note that this is a "stealth" upgrade in that the file name is the same as
before, but the formatting and file timestamp is different.   If you
really need the pdf version of the book, try downloading the pdf version
again.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/7.8/LFS-BOOK-7.8.pdf

   -- Bruce