[lfs-support] Problem in section 5.3 of lfs book

Joseph Hesse joehesse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 06:18:10 PST 2015

Hello,

In the first "Important" box in section 5.3, the last item is:
/usr/bin/yacc is a symbolic link to bison or a small script that
executes bison.

In my host system I have the file /usr/bin/yacc but it is not a symbolic
link to anything. I also have the file /usr/bin/bison but it also is not
a link to anything. Please advise on how I can fix this.

------------------------------

In the second "Important" box in section 5.3, item 3 says that I should
use tar to extract the packages in /mnt/lfs/sources. Am I reading this
right? There are 27 .tar.gz files, 11 .tar.bz2 files and 32 tar.xz
packages. Extracting each one from the command line seems error prone. I
am thinking about creating a script that would extract each package. Is
this a good approach?

Also, I had to stop work and shut down my host system.  When I restarted
it I had a gdm that displayed my name and the name "lfs". If I selected
"lfs" nothing happened,  I was back to the gdm prompt. The only way I
can be user "lfs" is to log in as myself and "su - lfs". Does this seem OK?